The IPO is committed to improving gender equality in intellectual property, including among our clients and staff. We are working with other national IP offices on this collective goal and are pleased to release the following joint statement on International Women’s Day:
This year, the theme for International Women’s Day 2022 is “Gender Equality for a Sustainable Future”. We are committed to working together to support an increased contribution of women in the development, commercialization and distribution of their innovations and creations in order to achieve a more sustainable and hopeful future.
Women are more vulnerable to the effects of climate change – UN figures indicate that 80% of those displaced by climate change are women. Yet their contributions are crucial in creating new technologies, products and processes to mitigate its impact. Their entrepreneurial spirit, innovation and creativity foster economic growth and enrich cultures.
In many countries, women are underrepresented in the intellectual property (IP) system. Around the world, patent, trademark and copyright offices provide resources and support to innovators and creators of all kinds, helping them navigate and access the intellectual property system. Through these and other programs, we are committed to working together to achieve gender equality in all of our economies.
Equality can only be achieved when the gender balance of innovators and creators engaged in innovation and creativity and using our intellectual property systems reflects the gender balance of our society. This will lead to a more sustainable, healthy and balanced society, enriching the lives of all.
Joint message on the occasion of International Women’s Day from:
- Business and Intellectual Property Authority of Namibia
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- European Patent Office
- Australian Intellectual Property Office
- Latin American Network on Intellectual Property and Gender
- National Institute of Industrial Property (INPI) – Republic of Argentina
- National Institute of Industrial Property (INAPI) – Republic of Chile, Superintendence of Industry and Commerce (SIC) – Republic of Colombia,
- National Registry of the Republic of Costa Rica
- National Intellectual Rights Service (SENADI) – Republic of Ecuador
- National Institute for the Defense of Competition and the Protection of Intellectual Property (INDECOPI) – Republic of Peru
- National Office of Industrial Property – of the Republic of the Dominican Republic (ONAPI)
- National Directorate of Industrial Property – of the Republic of Uruguay (DNPI)
- South African Companies and Intellectual Property Commission
- United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office, United States Copyright Office
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- world intellectual property organization
Around the world, patent, trademark and copyright offices provide resources and support to innovators and creators of all genres.