WASHINGTON, DC — U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) gave a speech today explaining why he is voting for the Senate Ukraine Aid Bill this week.
He gave several key reasons why a vote for Ukrainian aid is in the best interests of the United States:
- The bill includes nearly $9 billion to replenish US stockpiles, which have been dangerously depleted, directly endangering the national security of the United States and our allies.
- Putin tries to take control of energy. If he succeeds, Americans will fill up their cars with gas or try to heat their homes in the winter.
- If Putin wins in Ukraine, it will confirm to Xi that he can confidently invade Taiwan, taking control of the world’s semiconductor supply. The results would be catastrophic for American supply chains and the price of every product Americans buy.
- If China were to conquer Taiwan, it would give the Chinese Communist Party a stranglehold on the world’s semiconductor supply
- It is simply impossible to overstate the utter catastrophe that would befall Americans. Overnight, it would be impossible to acquire or fix everything we depend on in modern life.
Senator Cruz said:
I categorically agree that President Biden and congressional Democrats have failed on the issues here at home that Texans and Americans rightly care about and that we should be addressing. Right now we have a raging border crisis that President Biden will do nothing about, with skyrocketing inflation, with gasoline prices at record highs. We have an infant formula shortage that has parents across the country scrambling to try and feed their babies.
These are real problems that Democrats have caused and refuse to even try to solve, and in many cases, such as gas prices, these are problems that Democrats have deliberately made worse, inflicting suffering to millions of Americans. All of this may be true with us, and that doesn’t mean the world has suddenly become safe and our enemies mean us no harm.
At the same time we have to secure our border and deal with domestic crises, we also have to deal with the very real threat posed by Russia and China. We cannot let the fact that Biden and the Democrats have created massive national and economic failures lead us to ignore the threats to American national security posed directly by Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.
The reason we should support our Ukrainian allies is because it protects American national security, it makes America safer, and it prevents our enemies from getting stronger, threatening American safety and security, and increasing costs , economic damage, to Americans.
Watch the full speech here.